Last Updated on
Pretoria Boeremark Photo's
Pioneer Museum History
This farm in Silverton was first settled in 1846 by a Cape farmer named David Botha. By 1874, the gold rush was on in Pilgrim's Rest. Hans Mundt, a German immigrant capitalized on this opportunity. He bought the farm for 1400 and built a halfway station for travellers.
By the turn of the century, silver had been discovered on the farm and part of it was bought by the Silver Mining Company for 9000. This money was used to build a Victorian house to replace the original thatched home, which then became a packing shed.
In 1961, the Mundt family donated the estate to the municipality of Silverton, which in turn handed over administration to the National Cultural History Museum in 1975, when it was named the Pioneer Museum.